Beautification Project of the Day: Speaking of which, the Occupy Wall Street protest may be coming to abrupt halt.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who recently told demonstrators they were welcome to occupy Zuccotti Park “indefinitely,” visited the movement’s home base today to tell those present they would have to evacuate by tomorrow morning so the park could be cleaned.
Though Zuccotti Park is open to the public, it is actually a privately owned space belonging to Brookfield Office Properties. Brookfield’s chief executive penned a two-page letter to NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, asking for assistance in clearing the park so that the company can address the “health and public safety issue” allegedly created by the “trespassing of the protesters.”
Though Bloomberg promised Occupy Wall Street participants they would be allowed to return to the park after maintenance work was completed, new park rules posted today (see above) prohibit further construction of tents, as well as “lying down on the ground” with or without sleeping bags (which are now prohibited as well).
As Think Progress notes, these rules are “designed to effectively end #occupywallstreet.”
Occupy Wall Street organizers are attempting to orchestrate a volunteer clean up operation with the help of $3,000 for supplies and anyone willing to lend a hand. More info in this emergency call to action.
The clearing of Zuccotti Park is set to begin tomorrow at 7 AM.
I will be live blogging the riots, in case anyone is interested.
From my computer, tho.
I’ll try to take some photos tomorrow.
Pro: I kind of hate cops
Con: I’m a big wimp and have no desire to get beaten/wet/gassed/arrested- I’m 32 and over that shit.
Shocking, the NYPD is going to enforce property law.
Right? I mean, I’m flip floppy on the whole movement but…shit this is privately owned property. That’s kind of like just moving into someone’s backyard and making it your encampment for your movement. I mean. Privately owned property is privately owned property.
Public demonstrations in public spaces are the right of the people. Public demonstrations in private spaces are not.
I mean, that’s pretty cut and dry.
But I’m an oldster with a permanent sideye, so…
This is just utter facepalm.
They picked a park that isn’t actually public?
Although, i have to wonder if the knowledge that the park is privately owned is easily accessible to the public, and not on display in, I don’t know, the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of The Leopard.” Still, somebody dropped the ball there.
That “no lying down” rule is pretty assholey, too. No tents you can make an argument for but no lying down? Like, fuck you, maybe I’m having a picnic ten years from now with my future husband Astronaut Mike Dexter and he wants to take a nap. Would you tell an astronaut he can’t lie down? What’s next, no dancing? Are we gonna have to cut loose? Footloose?
the picked a park that’s open 24 hours. if they had picked a different one they would have been kicked out by the cops a long time ago.
- ihavevividreams likes this
- evelynthunderstorm reblogged this from thedailywhat
- bribar likes this
- pahng reblogged this from thedailywhat
- goldg reblogged this from lexcia
- vesme reblogged this from thedailywhat
- livesoundz likes this
- alyson-noele reblogged this from camilleionaire and added:
- davidthesith reblogged this from socialuprooting
- davidthesith likes this
- sushiinthecan likes this
- camilleionaire reblogged this from thedailywhat
- cominatrix reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- johnftohi reblogged this from thedailywhat
- johnftohi likes this
- lexcia reblogged this from peacefulcalamity
- scarvesandfoxes reblogged this from inothernews and added:
- ilovenewschool reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- anescapedfish reblogged this from thedailywhat
- ouchthroat likes this
- sydideny likes this
- generalwickedness reblogged this from thedailywhat
- mtvisgarbage reblogged this from inothernews
- pugmas reblogged this from thedailywhat
- thatsnowsuitsound likes this
- g4lexy likes this
- ameliamagritte reblogged this from theno-nosquare
- wildheartsdangerousminds reblogged this from thedailywhat
- msannette reblogged this from inothernews
- mermaidpo0p reblogged this from thedailywhat
- dudewheresmy- reblogged this from bohemianarthouse
- mawr-meow reblogged this from inothernews and added:
- sarahpeeler likes this
- johnnarock reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- trxfreely reblogged this from inothernews and added:
- silencio0ldman likes this
- trxfreely likes this
- andrewxnguyen reblogged this from thedailywhat
- wordhord likes this
- hot-likesauce reblogged this from chrisroarshack and added:
- valterbenyamin reblogged this from thedailywhat
- whineandbeer likes this
- marvinmatic likes this
- occupymainst reblogged this from bohemianarthouse
- dxo likes this
- fuckyeahbutterflysunrider reblogged this from inothernews
- katevizion reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- bohemianarthouse reblogged this from thedailywhat
- xelvinn likes this
- misterhippity reblogged this from jasencomstock and added: