I don’t think not wanting to date someone because they’re shallow is particularly immature. Projecting an imagined political agenda on to a delightfully campy soap opera that is obvious farce, on the other hand…
I wish the political agenda was imagined, i really do. But the success of Downton is part of a wider narrative of regression occurring in Britain. The writer of Downton, Lord Julian Fellows is a Tory peer, if you ever hear his talk politics, and he does a lot, you will see he has the most vile regressive conservative views on society.
It is the wider context that bothers me. Downton represents the old British view that the aristocracy are some benevolent force to be admired, look how well they treat their servants. They were born to rule. Now look at our current government who represent a return to the election of old elites in Britain, an elite who I thought where gone in the modern age, but who have replicated and evolved to look and talk like us, but in reality they are still the same old people.
The effects are seen throughout society, from renewed fawning over the military, to renewed popularity of the parasitical monarchy. The culture reflects it, but also entrenches it. It is not a Britain I feel comfortable in, because that Britain was not one in which people like me existed.
- hideouts likes this
- occono likes this
- lookpeople likes this
- screwrocknroll said: This is exactly the impression I’ve got from Downton Abbey, and exactly why I’m avoiding it.
- jrhyley said: Well, there was the Turkish diplomat, but I take your point. I wish you had not told me those things about Fellowes, though, as I was looking forward to the episode where O’Brien led the downstairs characters in a bloody rebellion. :’[
- anindependentguinevere said: Damn, but I love how you make your point. Facts, historical relevance, no hysteria or name calling. Please don’t ever stop being awesome.
- anindependentguinevere likes this
- jasencomstock reblogged this from waitingonoblivion
- jasencomstock likes this
- waitingonoblivion posted this