I don’t believe the hype around Rick Perry’s campaign. Recently, Perry has:
- Denied global warming
- Called evolution an “out there” theory with a number of holes in it
- Called Ben Bernanke’s monetary policy “borderline treasonous”
He has also:
- Executed a (most-likely) innocent man and squelched the investigation into whether there was a mistake
- Suggested that Texas should secede from the U.S.
- Defended Texas’s unconstitutional anti-sodomy statute
Before that, he started his political career as … a Democrat.
I understand that a lot of this stuff will appeal to a lot of people on the right. Except … the far right is already spoken for. Ron Paul’s supporters aren’t going to abandon Ron Paul. Nor are Bachmann’s supporters going to quickly abandon Bachmann. Yes, Perry looks more “presidential” than Bachmann (and by “presidential” I mean “white male with grey hair”). But Bachmann’s supporters disproportionately female, disproportionately Evangelical supporters are going to care about that much. They may be looking for Sarah Palin—but more so. Sort of Palin endorsing Perry over Bachmann (unlikely), I don’t see a huge swing toward him.
The Republican party recently nominated (comparably moderate) John McCain. As we learned from the backlash Obama has seen, things don’t change that quickly in politics. It’s roughly the same party it was in 2008. Straw poll voters may back the guy who is furthest right. But the actual voters will be much, much more moderate.
One more thing. Rick Perry’s really excited to be from Texas. That’s not the worst place for a Republican candidate to be. But politics are local. The promise to make your state more like Texas will just rub people the wrong way. And a guy running to be, essentially George W. Bush but more so isn’t going to get very far. And, while we’re on the topic of George W. Bush related liabilities, we shouldn’t forget that the Bush/Rove crew have some bad blood with Rick Perry.
None of these things, taken alone, would be a game ender. But taken together? Perry’s chances at the nomination are slim. His chances at the Presidency? Zilch.
You should bet money with username: thecallus.
Every real Republican denies global warming and evolution- they are actually in the party platform. Other Republicans who started as Democrats: Ronald Reagan, Strom Thurmond, Phil Gramm.
I know Perry is presented to you via what you read as some hokey Texas clown- and that is exactly what he wants his enemies to think of him. Every candidate hes has ever beaten has thought Perry was “cute.”
I’m not saying that Perry will beat Obama, I’m saying he’s the only real threat to him.
I don’t know why you think Bachmann’s supporters are disproportionately female. I don’t really know what that means. Women are a minority in the Republican party. donors to the various Republican candidates are more balanced by gender with Romney. Bachmann and Santorum are in the middle and about three women have donated money to Ron Paul.
- alice44 likes this
- annaharo likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from ilyagerner
- silas216 likes this
- shiminwrites likes this
- giganticnuclearfurnace reblogged this from ilyagerner
- strictlyalright likes this
- herblondness likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from bluntlyblue
- ashleyandherweekofwonders likes this
- mustachemayhem likes this
- fictionincarnate likes this
- painting--flowers likes this
- sweetlov3 likes this
- sendmelies likes this
- takethispolitically reblogged this from think4yourself
- politicore likes this
- littleorphanammo likes this
- zoewithtwodots reblogged this from sp-a-m
- bluntlyblue reblogged this from sp-a-m
- thrillhouse1980 likes this
- howto-kissdistinctly-american reblogged this from jasencomstock
- pol102 likes this
- squashedcomments reblogged this from jasencomstock and added:
- thesilentorator reblogged this from ilyagerner and added:
- astationaryjew likes this
- colincurtis likes this
- ilyagerner reblogged this from jasencomstock and added:
- thecallus likes this
- zombiecuddle likes this
- moorewr likes this
- yeahtravisrules reblogged this from think4yourself
- jasencomstock reblogged this from moorewr and added:
- ifitseasy reblogged this from jasencomstock and added:
- treatyoselfartie reblogged this from squashed
- sp-a-m reblogged this from think4yourself
- sp-a-m likes this
- think4yourself reblogged this from squashed
- think4yourself likes this
- boskranium likes this
- se-smith likes this
- dbreunig likes this
- resurrecthobbes likes this
- wearaboot likes this
- howto-kissdistinctly-american likes this
- moorewr reblogged this from jasencomstock and added:
- andrewgraham likes this
- hanabi likes this
- texburgher likes this
- babywipesenthusiast likes this